Monday, August 31, 2009

TURON NA SAGING

 
TURON NA SAGING
 "Deep Fried Lumpia Wrapped Banana"

Turon is a banana spring roll and a popular street food. A whole or half saba banana sprinkled with brown sugar, wrapped in lumpia (spring roll) wrapper then deep fried in oil. The traditional recipe includes a few strips of langka (jackfruit). Personally, I dispense with the brown sugar and add slices of cheese instead of langka .
Anyway, so I saw this turon stall and was surprised at how they dressed up the humble turon–with cinnamon, chocolate, peanut butterÉ I asked if they contained a whole saba banana or just half. The salesgirl said they contained diced bananas. I asked when they had been cooked. She said earlier in the day. I was disappointed but still curious. I decided to buy two pieces–chocolate and peanut butter (below, right). I asked if they were going to be reheated before being packed. The salesgirl said no. But they wouldnÕt be crisp anymore, I protested. They are, maam, she assured me. I paid for them and off to the moviehouse we went.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment